11) The first two stages in the development of civilized man were probably the invention of primitive weapons and the discovery of fire,although nobody knows exactly when he acquired the use of the latter.
12) Animal have a few cries that serve as signals,but even the highest apes haven’t been found able to pronounce words,even with the most intensive professional instructions.
13) Agriculture made possible an immense increase in the number of the human species in the regions where it could be successfully practised.
14) These inventions and discoveries---fire,speech,weapons,domestic animals,agriculture and writing---made the existence of civilized communities possible.
15) There was progress---there were even two inventions of great importance,namely gunpowder and the mariner’s compass---but neither of these can be compared in their revolutionary power to such things as speech and writing and agriculture.
16) Growth in electronic commerce is not a straight line trend---it come slowly at first,then accelerates rapidly.
17) Nonetheless,although it may take six years to reach sales of 1 trillion dollars,it won’t take six more to reach 2 trillion,nor perhaps even two to expaned from 2 to 4 trillion dollars.
18) Electronic commence will turn the world into one giant shopping mall for products,services,and investments.
19) By 2005,more than half of the average employees’ working hours in advanced countries(like the United States and the United Kingdom)will be spent at home.
20) Employees will be,figuratively speaking,in the driver’s seat.