Check have largely __1_ money as a means of exchange for they are widely accepted everywhere.Though this is very _2__ for both buyer and seller,it should not be forgotten that checks are not real money;they are quite _3__ in themselves. A shopkeeper always runs a certain _4__ when he accepts a check and he is quite _5__ his rights if,on accasion,he refuses to do so.
People do not always know this and are __6_ if their good faith is called _7__. An old and very wealthy friend of mine told me he had an extremely _8__ experience.He went to a famous jewelry shop which keeps a large __9_ of precious stone and asked to _10__ some pearl necklaces.After examing several trays,he decided to buy a particularly fine string of pearls and asked _11__he could pay by check.The assistant said that this was quite _12__,but the moment my friend signed his name,he was invited into the manager’s office.
The manager was very polite,but he explained that someone __13_ exactly the same name had presented them with a worthless check not long ago. My friend fot very angry when he heard this and said he would buy a necklace 14___.When he got up to go,the manager told him that the police would arrive at any moment and he had better stay_15__ he wanted to get into serious troubles._16__ the police arrived soon afterwards,They apologized to my friend for the __17_ but explained that a person who had used the same name as his was responsible for a number of recent robberies.Then the police asked my friend to copy out a note _18__ had been used by the theft in a number of shops.The note _19__ "I have a gun in my pocket.Ask no questions and give me all the money in the safe."Fortunately,my friend"s handwriting was quite _20__ the thief’s.Then he was allowed to go without delay.
1) A made B replaced C instead D pretended
2) A favourite B popular C profitable D convenient
3) A dangerous B meaningless C unimportant D valueless
4) A chance B risk C opportunity D danger
5) A within B out of C without D beyond
6) A unhappy B ashamed Cshocked D puzzled
7) A in doubt B in earnest C in difficulty D in question
8) A exciting B happy C unpleasant D wonderful
9) A amount B accident C stock D number
10) A give B be given C show D be shown
11) A if B when C what D that
12) A in need B in common C in use D in order
13) A used B with C named D by
14) A anywhere B somewhere C somewhere else D everywhere
15) A unless B otherwise C if D whether
16) A really B sure enough C certainly D however
17) A manner B behavior C D treatment
18) A told B read C which D what
19) A told B informed C read D wrote
20) A unlike B different C dissimilar D dislike
参考答案：BDDBA AACCD ABBCA DCCCA